Dec 1, 2011

Road tripping with God

So going to WY for the purpose of shooting a wedding in Jackson Hole was supposed to be a fun and exciting trip in a normal sort of way. Nothing too major in the works, just a few days to get out and see some of the wilderness country covered in snow and to spend some time with friends. As it ended up my trip went very differently than I had planned.

A pattern that seems to be reoccurring in my life is that things happen in big ways. Sometime it’s because I do them that way and sometimes it’s the way things end up. In this case it was the latter and it happened with a bang!! It was more like my minivan went bang right into the concrete divider on the highway. It was late morning as I drove along the highway of I-90 and ascended the mountains of Idaho. A light snow had originated in the last few minutes and drivers had begun to slow down a bit. Up ahead the road began to go into a big curve to the right and appeared very safe and harmless to the unsuspecting driver. What I was unaware of was that just ahead of me was an overpass with snow on it and under the snow a sheet of ice.

What happened next took place in less time than it will take you to read about it. But being in the moment, it felt like seconds of slow-motion action where you can do nothing but sit tight and watch the catastrophe take place. If it had only been a movie and not real life it would have made for a great action scene. The only thing that could have made it even better would have been a tall box of salted buttered popcorn. But, as it was real life, the popcorn would have only made things messy.

It all went down something like this. I was driving along with no worries when suddenly I lost all traction (I had studded snow tires by the way) and I began to slide in whatever direction the momentum wanted to take me. You remember that the highway was curving to the right. So as physics would have it my van drifted to the left with the backend coming on a little faster than the front, thus instigating a sideways slide. I made attempts to pull out of it but to no avail. 

The front end made a hard impact into the concrete, putting me into the full momentum of a 360 spin. This caused the back end to swing around into the dense dividing wall while the front end continued to spin around to the left leading the way as the van slid across the two lanes in a fast dash to get to the other side. Upon reaching its goal we made a final slam-dunk into the concrete wall making a grand showstopper. This second impact to the front was largely absorbed by the front passenger side of the already injured motor vehicle. It is there that we took a rest from the excitement and caught our breath. 


This is what my van looked like before it all happened... 

...and after 




Now you might say that “that’s too bad” or “that’s a real bummer” that this happened. But the more I think about it I have found the contrary to be the case. There’s so much to be thankful for that I have come to realize how much of a blessing it all was.

Here are just a few of the things I’m thankful for: 

-Two very kind guys stopped and helped me after witnessing the accident
-I was completely uninjured
-There were no other cars or people affected by the collision
-It was the only place for many miles that had any cell reception
-My camera and other belongings were unharmed
-None of the windows shattered, all the doors opened with ease, and the airbags stayed un-deployed
-The towing garage was very close by and had me out of there in short order
-The police did not cite me for anything
-I was able to locate a rental car at a decent rate
-The towing garage gave me a ride to the closest town 40 miles away to get the rental car
-The Lord provided a hotel room free of charge in the next city on my route
-I was even able to obtain a very good dinner after not eating all day

And the list goes on…..

God takes away the things we think we need and shows us all that we truly need: Himself. That Sunday I got to hear Pastor Ron Turpin preach on Jonah. He pointed out that the Lord had to take Jonah all the way into the belly of a fish and keep him there for three days before Jonah turned from his complaining and began to pray to the Lord. But even after he got out of there he went back to his complaining and self-pity. Now I was not in a fish for three days but I did have the same dilemma that Jonah had. I could choose to thank God for all his mercies and blessings in my life or like Jonah I could complain and grumble about my life all the things I don’t like about it. Sadly many a time I end up like Jonah and complain about my life and how much better it would be if He would only do things my way. 

So don’t get caught complaining, friends, when you hit the icy road of life and start to slide. Instead go ice-skating and thank Him for the snow and ice. 


Here are a few other things I am thankful for from my trip!
 
My rental car

Great friends

Cheaper gas (o=

Christmas lights in Jackson Hole!


The frosty winter






 
Horses in the snow

btw, This is "my"awesome horse Ginger that I got to use over the summer. 
Love that horse!

Fences and snow







Weddings!!


 

Winter wonderland!





The Grand Teton 


Walking in the snow

Jackson Hole in the winter





I hope your life is full of seeing Christ and drawing closer to Him as you thank Him in everything that comes your way.

Happy Tremendous Christmas!!

 

4 comments:

  1. Great Post Philip! What an encouragement and beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! Love this post!! What an incredible testimony of God's protection and provision. And what's even better is the attitude of thankfulness that God has put in your heart. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful~~ and so refreshing in the encouragement to see God's hand in all that happens. Sweet wedding photos, and the scenery is awesome!

    ReplyDelete